Free Range Readers

Nurturing Self Reliant Readers and Writers in K-6 classrooms

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

| 4 Comments

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday, What Are You Reading?

Oh, wow! I was trying to get better at posting regularly to my blog, and somehow went from January to August without a single post. Yikes! But, I am getting back on the horse,as they say, and here is my new post!

I was traveling this past week and picked up two books on my Summer Reading list. While visiting family in NYC, I stopped by one of my favorite indie bookstores, Books of Wonder, on West 18th Street. What a wonderful bookstore! I picked up Revolution by Deborah Wiles and am loving it.It’s a lot of fun to read books about my “growing up years” that is the new Historical Fiction! Bring it on!

Part two of a trilogy

Part two of a trilogy

Although I did not grow up in the South, the book brings back many memories of growing up during the 1960’s. I love the idea of a “Documentary Novel” and am enjoying reading the quotes and informational text tidbits embedded in the narrative.

I finished Out of My Mind, by Sharon Draper.

Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

This book deals with “otherness” and social challenges for children with special needs and is very accessible for my 5th graders. I had a number of students in mind for this book as I read it. I like the way Sharon Draper is very clear on who her audience is for this book and keeps true to the upper elementary reader. Melody is a character who stays with you after the book is finished. I am looking forward to presenting this book as a book club option for my students in the second half of the coming school year.

Author: mnosal

I have been in education for all of my life, in one way or another. After teaching 5th grade at an urban public charter school, I have decided to return to the public schools and to literacy coaching K-5. I also teach and mentor preservice teachers.

4 Comments

1. Revolution was interesting, and I think with the Common Core that we might see a lot more books that combine fiction with facts, like Fish Finelli. Hope you feel inspired to post regularly!

2. One nagging thought I have as I read and thoroughly enjoy Revolution is, “Who is this book written for?” I am looking forward to reading it with kids and hearing from them. Thanks for your response!

3. Great choices! I really liked Out of my Mind and was glad that the author didn’t choose to sweep in with a miraculous fix to the problem with the competition at the end. Made it feel like a much more realistic book.

4. I so agree, Katie! I think it makes it more real for kids, and ultimately more satisfying. Thanks for yuor response!