Free Range Readers

Nurturing Self Reliant Readers and Writers in K-6 classrooms

What I’m Reading

| 2 Comments

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

It’s Monday, What Are You Reading?

I enjoyed a nice visit to my local Indie bookstore this weekend, and picked up (among other books) a copy of Ann Martin’s Book, Rain Reign. The main character, fifth grader Rose Howard (her name is a homonym) is on the Autism spectrum and has an obsession with homonyms, prime numbers, and rules. Her father gifts her a stray dog and she gives it a name with 3 homonyms: Rain, Reign, Rein. I won’t give anything away, but this book is one of a number of books in recent years about a character with special needs who will tug at your heart and make you think about kids you teach/have taught for a long time after you finish reading  it.

Rose’s father (and her relationship with him) is not easy. Ann Martin does not sugar coat things. I would say that this character makes the book a bit more suitable for upper grade, more mature readers. I loved the book.

http://www.hbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/martin_reign-rain.jpg

Author: mnosal

I have been in education for all of my life, in one way or another. After teaching 5th grade at an urban public charter school, I have decided to return to the public schools and to literacy coaching K-5. I also teach and mentor preservice teachers.

2 Comments