Free Range Readers

Nurturing Self Reliant Readers and Writers in K-6 classrooms

Celebrating Christian Robinson and Children’s Books This Week!

| 5 Comments

It’s Monday!

Thanks to Jen at TeachMentorTexts for hosting It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? I always learn so much about kid lit from this community of readers!

Celebrate Children’s Book Week this week by reading, exploring, and celebrating children’s books! Go to the link for all kinds of resources, posters, and bookmarks. Our school will read Christian Robinson’s book, The Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade, as our May Book of the Month. This book is a little gem and is on the recommended book list of books about bias, diversity, and social justice from the Anti-Defamation League.

Image result for The Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade

I continue to fall in love with Christian Robinson’s books, as well as his own story. His collaboration with Matt de la Pena on Last Stop On Market Street is another treasure. I like to share a clip from PBS’s Brief But Spectacular segment with children and talk about how an artist’s early experiences shape their art and their lives. This book addresses important ideas about being an ally, not a bystander, and about taking a stand. It’s a beautiful book in beautiful words and beautiful pictures. By the way, Justin Roberts wrote the words.

Happy Monday, Happy Reading, and Happy Celebrate Children’s Reading Week!

Author: mnosal

I have been in education for all of my life, in one way or another. After teaching 5th grade at an urban public charter school, I have decided to return to the public schools and to literacy coaching K-5. I also teach and mentor preservice teachers.

5 Comments

1. I didn’t recognize Christian Robinson’s name until I read the connection the On Market Street. I’ll look for The Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade.

2. I LOVE Christian Robinson, and I know kids just adore him, too. His art just exudes so much life, joy and vibrancy that kids can’t help but be pulled in, and the child-like simplicity is so accessible for young readers. Such a winner.

3. I LOVE Christian Robinson too! He illustrated a book Rain, from last year or the year before, which I just loved, but I think it got overlooked with Market Street’s big wins.

4. Loved his illustrations in Josephine, Gaston, and Last Stop on Market Street – Thanks for sharing this book with us.

5. I know what you mean about Christian Robinson’s books – all very good, I thought. Smallest Girl is one of my favourites this year.