Free Range Readers

Nurturing Self Reliant Readers and Writers in K-6 classrooms

Save Me a Seat at the RI State House!

| 2 Comments

It’s Monday!

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.
It’s a great source to find new books to use with your students.

This week I am reading  Save Me a Seat, by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/517DUWUEwSL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This book has been selected for the Rhode Island Center for the Book’s Kids Reading Across Rhode Island (KRARI) initiative. The program targets readers in grades 3-6.

About The Book

From the KRARI website:

Veteran writer Sarah Weeks and first-time author Gita Varadarajan address common middle school fears of two young characters struggling to find their way.  Joe and Ravi are from very different places, but they’re both stuck in the same place: SCHOOL. Joe’s lived in the same town all his life, and was doing just fine until his best friends moved away and left him on his own. Ravi’s family just moved to America from India, and he’s finding it pretty hard to figure out where he fits in. Librarians across the country recommend the book as a read-aloud forcing the listener to walk in someone else’s shoes. Save me a Seat, full of empathy and humor, explores issues of diversity, culture, assumptions and parenting styles.

I am looking forward to reading  this with kids and will be at our State House this weekend for the kick-off. I always appreciate the celebration of children’s reading and the push to create a statewide conversation about a particular book. This book feels like a good fit for a number of reasons. If you live in Rhode Island, I hope to see you there!

The Library of Congress promotes a number of literacy initiatives such as the “Kids Reading Across …” and you can read more about their work here. What’s your state’s book this year? Find out today!

Happy Reading!

Author: mnosal

I have been in education for all of my life, in one way or another. After teaching 5th grade at an urban public charter school, I have decided to return to the public schools and to literacy coaching K-5. I also teach and mentor preservice teachers.

2 Comments