Free Range Readers

Nurturing Self Reliant Readers and Writers in K-6 classrooms

Poetry Friday: Changed

| 10 Comments

It’s Poetry Friday …. Inspire someone…..share a poem!

Thanks to Margaret over at Reflections on the Teche for hosting this week.

It’s that time of summer when thoughts turn back to the classroom and I am missing having my own classroom to plan and prepare. I’ve been organizing my books and notebooks and reading through old favorites. Feeling nostalgic.

Someone reminded me this week of one of my favorite poems by Naomi Shihab Nye, and I thought it would be a good one to share for Poetry Friday:

Changed

by Naomi Shihab Nye

They said something mean about me

and didn’t notice it was mean.

So my heart wandered into the rainy night without them

and found a canopy

to hide under.

My eyes started seeing through things.

Like gauze.

Old self through new self.

My flexible body

went backwards

and forwards

in time.

It’s hard to describe but true;

I grew another head

with better ideas

inside my old head.

I like the message and think this is a good poem to help us think about choosing our words carefully …..choosing KIND whenever possible.

I realized that I shared another text by Naomi Shihab Nye earlier this week. Nye is one of my favorite writers, especially to share with students. I found an interview with Nye from one of my favorite podcasts, On Being with Krista Tippett. It’s a wonderful, inspiring conversation with the poet and you can find it here.

Happy Poetry Friday!

Author: mnosal

I have been in education for all of my life, in one way or another. After teaching 5th grade at an urban public charter school, I have decided to return to the public schools and to literacy coaching K-5. I also teach and mentor preservice teachers.

10 Comments

1. This poem was new to me, so I had to save it. I think kids I share it with will appreciate seeking out “a canopy to hide under” and growing “better ideas.” Thanks for bringing “Changed” to my attention, Maureen!

2. NS Nye is one of my favorites to share with students as well! We all need that new head with new ideas… growing from the inside out. Thank you!

3. Nye is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing a new-to-me poem of hers. I love the image of growing a new head with better ideas inside the old one.

4. As others have said, Naomi Shihab Nye is a favorite, and this poem is new to me. Perfect for middle school students, I’m looking forward to sharing it when school starts. Thank you so much!

5. The thing to remember is:
    “They said something mean about me
    and didn’t notice it was mean.”
    And
    “I grew another head
    with better ideas
    inside my old head.”
    Sometimes people don’t realize what they said had such an impact…
    and we can still grow from it in one way or another.

6. Thanks for sharing this lovely poem. These lines fascinate:

“So my heart wandered into the rainy night without them
    and found a canopy
    to hide under.”

It speaks to me of the therapy of distance, of getting away from the nasty situation and being able to be objective. I can see why this would be powerful to share with kids—adults too!

7. Wonderful poem and new to me. Thanks. I like that idea that taking a break, walking away, let’s you replace pain with new ideas.

8. An important message, especially now. Thank you. And I enjoy Krista Tippett as well. Love starting my Sunday mornings with On Being. — Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

9. I had never encountered Naomi Shihab Nye before joining the Poetry Friday community, and have since discovered so many of her works – this community really is such a joy for me, and such a valuable opportunity for growth and discovery.

10. If we could only be this flexible,
    “I grew another head
    with better ideas
    inside my old head.”

humanity would move forward and not backward. Thanks for sharing Naomi Shihab Nye’s poem, she weaves such beauty between her lines!