Free Range Readers

Nurturing Self Reliant Readers and Writers in K-6 classrooms

Poetry Friday in August already!

| 8 Comments

poetryfridaybutton

I have been enjoying the summer so much, and have especially enjoyed taking time to read a lot of books that sort of rushed through when I first got them, and then put on the shelf. One such book that I am very fond of is Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems by Paul Janeczko. If you are looking for a lovely, well-curated collection of poems for the year, you will not be disappointed. Janeczko is brilliant, and Melissa Sweet’s illustrations are colorful and enchanting. I collect poetry anthologies, and this is my new favorite 🙂

Great collection of poems!!

Great collection of poems!!

I was in the mood for Emily Dickinson this week, and so the poem I am sharing is from the “Summer” section of  the book:

The Moon was but a Chin of Gold by Emily Dickinson
The Moon was but a Chin of Gold
A Night or two ago —
And now she turns Her perfect Face
Upon the World below –Her Forehead is of Amplest Blonde —
Her Cheek — a Beryl hewn —
Her Eye unto the Summer Dew
The likest I have known –Her Lips of Amber never part —
But what must be the smile
Upon Her Friend she could confer
Were such Her Silver Will —

And what a privilege to be
But the remotest Star —
For Certainty She take Her Way
Beside Your Palace Door —

read the rest here and you can also see her manuscript in these archives!

Author: mnosal

I have been in education for all of my life, in one way or another. After teaching 5th grade at an urban public charter school, I have decided to return to the public schools and to literacy coaching K-5. I also teach and mentor preservice teachers.

8 Comments

1. I mention Emily Dickinson in today’s post myself! I especially like this bit “what must be the smile/Upon Her Friend she could confer/Were such Her Silver Will — ” There’s something about the moon having a “Silver Will” that gets me 🙂

2. I saw that! She must be looking in on us! I love this poem and it seemed fitting for this time of year. Thank you for hosting this week!

3. Lovely!

4. This is one of my new favorite anthologies, too. Best recommendation, though: my fifth graders also love it!

5. Thanks, Mary!

6. I have this anthology on my shelf. I need to go back and reread this poem! A friend gave me the most beautiful book this summer — a photographic collection of Dickinson’s envelope drafts, poems on the corners and scraps of envelopes. It’s a beautiful thing to see how she used space in her drafts.

7. That sounds amazing. What a great friend! Thank you for sharing 🙂

8. One of my favorite anthologies too– it’s my comfort go-to.